February 12, 2011

Facebook in-car status updates vs. the Future of User Interface Design

A few days ago I raised the question: which of these two concepts (a, b) have the best chance to become a widely used consumer product in 5 years. When browsing the web the past week these two new concepts really grabbed me. 

As an ad lover I obviously checked (almost) all of the Super Bowl XLV commercials (including my personal favorites: Darth Vader Kid of Volkswagen. Chevy’s Miss Evelyn and Chrysler’s Imported from Detroit) which, for most ad lovers, is the ad-highlight of the year. Although not one of my personal favorites, Chevy’s other commercial (option b), introducing a new Facebook in-car innovation, stuck with me the most. Chevy offers real time spoken Facebook status updates in their cars, which can be activated via voice activation. 


Is this really happening? Are people really going to by cars because of the presence of Facebook features? It is probably more of a promotional stunt. Or will this feature be standard in every new car within 5 years? Are we replacing our ‘old’ car media? Like the cd player replaced the cassette. Are we going to, instead of listening to the radio, first listen to our social media feeds? I doubt it. As this feature only has advantages for the driver, and to my opinion could be rather dangerous, I don’t see it becoming very successful.

The Future of User Interface Design is another concept that may (or may be not) become a mass consumer product in 5 years. Although John Underkoffler is absolute certain that this will be in our households within 4 years (filmed in February 2010), I think this is rather fast. There is no lack of faith that this concept will eventually reach us, but maybe not so soon. Taking into account that the next step in UID on large screens is not even ready to hit the market, this would be quite a big leap forward. Nevertheless, if such UID’s will not be marketable in 4 or 5 years they probably will in, for instance, 10 years. Allthough consumers have to get used to very drastic changes regarding to UID, the possibilities of these techniques are endless.

If I had the opportunity to invest in either one of these concepts, I would invest in Mr. Underkoffler’s UID. Whereas Facebook updates will probably belong to the past over 10 years or will be present in another form, John Underkoffler’s UID has the (/my) future. 
Follow Me on Twitter